those women I used to make fun of...

>> Thursday, July 16, 2009

I used to really think some women were idiots.

You know the kind - where the smallest thing happens and they just turn into helpless, defenseless creatures that must be waited upon hand and foot.

I thought they were dumb.

I was never EVER going to be helpless. I could change my own oil, fix a flat tire, drive a stick shift, cook a scrumptious dinner, sew my own clothes, change my own light bulbs and tie a mean Trucker's Slipknot.

No way was anything, including pregnancy, going to transform me into a waddling, bed-ridden, damsel in distress who needed things lifted/carried/remembered or anything else.

I had no sympathy for people who started sentences only to drop off slack-jawed halfway through. No compassion for those who snapped their fingers in hopes of sparking a memory of that name or telephone number that just mentally vanished.

And zero patience for anyone who moved slower, thought clumsier, functioned with less self-discipline or somehow just couldn't keep up.

I mean, I tried to be polite about it and all... But deep down inside, those people drove me batty.

Then I got pregnant. The brain that once stored dozens of faces, names, telephone numbers, email addresses? The body that once trotted to the gym several days a week for grueling one-hour workouts?

Brain = bowl of mushy oatmeal. Some days with green fuzzies growing on top.

Body = three-toed jungle sloth. Can't bend over without grabbing onto something. Must take time to carry the lightest loads.

Ridiculous.

Is this really me? Oh yeah baby.

Funny how life has ways of turning our arrogance on its ear and hitting the spin cycle. I no longer laugh at those who can't keep up with my old pace. Oh right, that's cause I can't keep up with my old self these days.

For those of you who haven't been pregnant yet, and think I'm just whining pointlessly - you just wait. I always told myself that I would just mind-over-matter and push right through anything my body threw at me. I wouldn't give in to being sick. I wouldn't go all mushy and helpless.

But you really don't know how your body's going to react until you're in the middle. You might think you can keep up the pace, but then maybe you won't. You might think you can keep working right up until the baby's born, but you might draw the lucky bedrest card.

If I believed in karma, I'd say karma's having a good laugh.

© Sarah K. Asaftei, 2009 unless otherwise sourced. Use allowed by express written permission only.

1 comments:

Sarah July 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

your posts always seem to give me the laughs, girl! You go at finding the funnies in some of life's un-funny moments. ;) Your second time around (yep, I'm already thinking you're baby needs a little sibling. haha!)will be easier. At least it was for me-I was so occupied in keeping up with my fast paced toddler I didn't have time to feel sorry for myself or lay around on the couch with nothing to do. I HAD to go on! And, maybe my body was more "used" to pregnancy, who knows! But it was a bit easier for me, and the non-stop nausea didn't last 7 months like it did the 1st time either. It was more like 4 months and it wasn't as bad during that time either. I think I only threw up a few times, whereas hannah, i nearly lived in the bathroom. ugh. i don't want to rethink it. Anyways-you'll get through it! keep the tummy butter handy because it really does help that tummy! ;)

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP