oh the depths to which we sink...

>> Friday, October 9, 2009

I used to look askance at those waddling pregnant women who allowed themselves to go out in public in just housewear.

"How could they voluntarily embarrass themselves like that?" I'd roll my eyes. Swore I'd never be caught dead in public wearing a bathrobe or other grungy attire. Just because it's comfortable doesn't mean you should be seen in it!

Until yesterday.

I'd just driven home from visiting my sister. Had to take some stuff over to my parents' house. Gas tank almost empty. Gotta fill up - wouldn't want to go into labor with a car that's running on fumes.

Stopped at the station. Hopped out. Scratch that - LUMBERED out to pump the gas.

And looked down at myself.

I am HER. That ubiquitous waddling pregnant chick who never bothered to properly dress this morning. I'm wearing a black shirt, stretchy black yoga pants, and big fluffy white house slippers. AND I HAVE THAT HIDEOUS (but amazingly helpful) WHITE BELLY SUPPORT BELT ON THE OUTSIDE OF MY SHIRT.

At least it matches my fluffy house slippers.

I am THAT chick.

But honestly, what did I know back then when I was rolling my eyes at other women? Back then, I could still reach down and touch my own feet. Heck, back then I could still SEEEE my own feet.

I could walk without feeling like a hippopotamus. I could run if I wanted, bend in half to plug something into the wall, roll out of bed without needing the Hubby to haul me upright first. All those magical abilities that childless/never been pregnant woman take completely for granted.

Yeah. What did I know?

© Sarah K. Asaftei, 2009 unless otherwise sourced. Use allowed by express written permission only.

5 comments:

Lisa October 9, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

Oh yes, I remember the feeling. 10 days before my first was born I caught myself wearing my hubby's striped pajama pants while out in public. Quite the wake up call. Oh, Lord, how did this ever happen? I wondered.
Just remember the same principle applies to how you feel about those moms of young children who can never seem to leave the house in anything but a ponytail and with spit up on their shirts. And who can't remember what day it is because the days and nights ALL run together in a fog of 3 hour round the clock feedings.
Soon you'll see exactly what I mean. Good luck, hope you have a safe and (relatively) easy birth!

Rachel October 9, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

Sometimes largely pregnant women wear that attire because nothing else covers that HUGE belly. At least when I was at the end of my last pregnancy, I had few things that covered me.

Dan,  October 9, 2009 at 1:14 PM  

It is interesting when you have a family member that is pregnant. You look at things very different. My daughter is expecting her second child in December. Looking forward to greeting the new addition....

Yvonne Eller,  October 9, 2009 at 4:47 PM  

This is just too funny! But, so true! Things definitely change when we actually experiences certain things in life! Have a great Sabbath, girl, and we will be waiting for the good news. Today is Becca's due date---nothing yet!

LaVonne October 9, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

Too funny! I know exactly what you mean. I remember having to roll out of bed because I couldn't sit up anymore. :) God bless! Happy Sabbath.

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP