on sabbath bags...

>> Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Just recently, I was (admittedly) bragging to my dad about Little Dude's recent success in making it through church without any disruptive behavior.

"Have you made him a sabbath bag yet?" Grandpa asked.

Nope. Hadn't even occurred to me. Which is kind of sad, since I grew up having one. Yeah, my memory ain't what it used to me. And yes, I know I'm not old enough to really milk that excuse... I'm using it anyway.

Never heard of the idea? It's actually really simple.

A sabbath bag, is a special bag filled with quiet and non-disruptive toys, that you only get to play with on sabbath - or on whatever day your family goes to church. These are perhaps some of your kids' very favorite toys, made all the more special because they only come out once a week - so their magic lasts a little longer.

The contents should be age-appropriate, non-messy, and preferably Bible- or nature-related instead of overtly secular (at least that's what we'd choose). Felt-books, miniature coloring books with non-staining colors (like the no mess markers here), sticker/cling sets, a favorite stuffed animal, favorite teething ring, special heavy-duty cardboard book - all would make great contents.

The beauty of having a Sabbath Bag for each child is that you don't have to stuff the diaper bag full of extras each weekend. Just keep each child's bag hanging in the coat closet, ready to grab on the way out. Bring it back after church, hang it up, and grab it next week.

I'm going to start planning what goes into Little Dude's this week. Hmmm, where can I find a really cute boy bag?

Share

© Sarah K Asaftei, 2009-2010 unless otherwise sourced.
Use allowed by express written permission only.
Tweets, trackbacks, and link sharing encouraged.

2 comments:

Sarah November 2, 2010 at 5:22 AM  

I actually bought my bag from hobby lobby-plain. then the kids and i found some iron on decals to put on it and make it their own. :)

Lisa November 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

I really need to update our Sabbath bags. It's been nearly a year since I have. We also have a Sabbath cupboard with puzzles and things they can only get out on Sabbath afternoons, but at the moment that is in disarray, too. Needs a winter workover now that we don't spend so much of our Sabbaths outside. A plastic bin of seashells is one of the favorites!

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP