a bib of nonsense...

>> Monday, June 8, 2009

I never spent time pondering the range of compliments and insults emblazoned on babywear until now.

I can see why the baby clothing industry rakes it in. I'm totally NOT a sucker for materialistic branding schemes, but some of these baby outfits are so cute I want to buy them just to hang in my closet. Hmmm, pity I'm having a boy and I keep swooning over frilly pink and lavender dresses. Poor kid.

(Really people, where on earth are the equally adorable masculine clothes? Does super cute have to be limited to girls only? Sheesh.)

My favorite bib sayings so far are:

1 spoon
2 spoon
3 spoon
FLOOR!

and...

if you think I'M cute,
you should see my dad!

But then there are the down right idiotic baby bib slogans, like:

my mom thinks SHE'S in charge...
that's so cute.

and

hey dude, your wife
keeps checking me out!

Do people really think that buying bibs and onesies embroidered with "I'm a little tyrant" is going to make a monster child seem less obnoxious? C'mon, you're an adult. Be intelligent already. Do you really think seeing that slogan every day is going to improve your kid's character?

And putting a truthful slogan on your kid's outfit (like "I KNOW I rule the house!") doesn't make you seem any less pathetic as a parent. But hey, at least you're being honest about it.

8 comments:

Ami June 8, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

I totally agree. Some slogans are outright disgusting. I remember editing them in my mind. And just left some of them on the racks, preferring the ones without sayings. Some sayings are really cute though.

Angela June 8, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

I agree, too. I refuse to allow some of those in my house. Even the princess ones. I hate the "boss" ones and so forth.
Have you gone to any consignment sales? I've bought so many darling clothes for the kids for a fraction of the price. I even found Troy a suit complete with a tie, jacket, pants, shirt and vest for $10. I can't bear to pay retail now... ;) I've found darling boy clothes for Troy. Granted, I tend to be partial to the REI style clothes but I know other women who have found lots of cutsie boy clothes there, too.

andrea June 8, 2009 at 11:25 PM  

Yes! Consignment Sales are the way to go!!! You can find tons of great things for super cheap! Also, a friend of mine has a great store that you can order things from. She has the cutest baby things I've ever seen....both for girls and BOYS!! http://shop.thepajamasquid.com/ Definitely check it out!!

skaMEDIA June 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

Thanks for the input guys!

I've discovered a consignment store near my house called Tadpoles, that has everything from $2 everyday outfits to $15-$20 high-end boutique items. I got the most adorable little boys' red wool knitted sweater and beret-style cap (made in France) for about $7 this week.

I'm trying to hold off on much buying of anything until after the baby showers and all that - so that I can spend my bits of saved-up money on the things we really need when it's all done. It's hard though!

Heather,  June 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

I think perhaps those things are funny to us because we recgonize ourselves in them and understand the character flaws that our children have come from us. Sometimes a good laugh at ourselve is healthy...I think there is more than one way to see it.

Holly,  June 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

About 2/3 rds of the baby stuff can be and are ridiculous and expensive, some things you will need and are convienent! Dont knock it until you have the baby :)

Delina,  June 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

when i was preggers with baby #1 i was totally drawn to the girl's section, now with girls on the way i'm seeing such cute stuff for baby boys...
anyway--i went shopping today and there are the cutest brown and blue (variety pack) of onesies for baby boys. Store: Macy's. Brand: Carter's. Price: $5.99 for 5. Go! Go! Go! You'll never have enough onesies!

Libby,  June 10, 2009 at 11:43 AM  

Sarah...good blurb. so true. just a few lines seem to take the time to create darling boy stuff. *sad face* And, I personally cringe when I come across a sz 3 shirt that says "I want it all, and I want it now!" !! :{

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP