on appropriate churchwear for kids (part 2)...

>> Thursday, July 23, 2009

If we really are willing to make our Sabbath dates with God special, then we might have to add a little weekly effort into our lifestyle routine. It's something the bible talks about, getting ready for Sabbath in advance so that our entire day is free to just EXIST in God's presence without any distraction.

For us, that means getting EVERYTHING ready before Sabbath begins. Cooking, house cleaning, laundry, clothing ironed and shoes shined, all secular magazines or distractions put away - and so on.

Sound like a drag? But it's NOT!

For some people, Sabbath is a day of boredom and lethargy. A day of "don't's". But it doesn't have to be.

Sabbath can be the best day of the week. The most exciting. The one day looked forward to with the most eager anticipation.

How?

Make it extraordinary and desirable on every level:

  • special favorite foods that you don't get on other days, prepared in advance so that the work is as little as possible.
  • sparkling clean house where everybody wants to hang out, because it smells nice and candles are glowing.
  • most exciting (spiritually appropriate) games or hobbies or activities, that are off-limits during the week so that sabbath is looked forward to.
  • spend time with family and friends that you can't connect with during the week.
  • and having very best clothes ready ahead of time, so that you feel your prettiest or best-looking of the entire week.
When you build up the anticipation, mentioning every day of the week that the Sabbath is coming soon, and reminding your kids regularly of all the wonderful things that will happen on God's special day ~ they can't help but buy into your enthusiasm.

And part of that is centered in how they feel about themselves. Looking their best plays into that. Knowing that they've worked hard to get ready for going to meet God on a beautiful date is a way to help them feel excited and thrilled about the romance of belonging to Jesus.

That's why I think babies and children should be dressed in extra special outfits every weekend for church. It elevates Sabbath to something tangibly more important than just a nice outing to a ball game, or any other regular day. It attaches something specially reverent to the day itself.

It helps in making Sabbath a day of beauty.

© Sarah K. Asaftei, 2009 unless otherwise sourced. Use allowed by express written permission only.

7 comments:

Sarah July 23, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

Kudos! Totally agree. couldn't have said it better myself. Have you read the book "Oh no! It's Sabbath again and I'm not ready!" ? It's really a pretty good book. :)

LaVonne July 23, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Great ideas on making the Sabbath special. I will incorporate those when my princess gets older.

Nina,  July 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

Very nicely put.

Tiffany,  July 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

Wow, a person could get derailed on this one...for starters, it would depend on where and what you call 'church' and the cultural surroundings I suppose.

My mind flashes back 13 years ago, a young mommy of many toddlers trying to do all the 'right' things...my husband out in the truck honking, me trying to get the potluck dish, diaper bag, and 4 babies out the door in one lacy frilly piece...by the time I got to church I was exhausted, heartbroken, and hated church but hey, me and my crew where 'well-behaved' and 'well-dressed'...I wish we had spent more time on how we loved each other and less on the dress.

Blessings, balance, and perspective are probably a good thing in this regard...Tif

Sarah,  July 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

i really enjoyed this post. it is so true-many miss the important-ness of the Sabbath. I will say one thing though-JUST YOU WAIT! :) Wait til you have two little ones to keep up after and that house may not always be perfect before the sun goes down. That floor just may not be mopped either! Things get a bit more complicated AFTER baby arrives. That said, it was an excellent post and something we should all strive towards.

skaMEDIA July 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

@ Sarah - I'm not planning on trying to be total superwoman! And I'm not going to beat myself up if it isn't always ideal - but that doesn't mean we stop trying, right? :) I know my mom did it, and I have friends who did their best as well. I even know one lady who had TEN kids - and her secret was a Sabbath closet that had something done every day of the week as the family looked forward to Sabbath. She's like 85 now, and she told me a bunch of her secrets... Hmmmm.... Maybe I should post about that? :)

skaMEDIA July 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

@ Tiffany - you're right, it can be so easy to lose the whole spirit in just trying to be perfect. My first thought is that maybe if hubby had helped carry the dishes and the diaper bag instead of honking the horn - it could have helped a little, huh? (Not to be judgmental, but I see so many men who seem to be happy to wait outside while the women juggle a million burdens - and if they'd just split the work in half everything could have been so much nicer/quicker/happier.)

I'm so sorry - it sounds like Sabbaths were often an incredible burden for you! That must have felt pretty awful, especially after trying so hard!

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP