unexpected lessons...

>> Sunday, November 8, 2009

Last week we had family worship in the nursery. I was entrenched in the feeding process, so The Hubby brought in a stool and joined us.

For whatever reason, he decided to sing the song "Tell Me The Story of Jesus". We got to the third verse, where it says "tell of the cross where they nailed him, writhing in anguish and pain", and I couldn't sing the rest of the song.

My whole life, I've heard that song. Breezed right past the last verse. Never stopped to consider the agony behind it.

But as I stared down into the tiny little face nursing innocently away, tears poured down my cheeks,dripping off my chin and mixing with his milk. The Hubby finished the verse in solo.

What if it was HIM? What if it were MY son suffering?

For the first time, I pondered how God himself must have felt watching Jesus go through with their plan.

For me.

Wow.

© Sarah K. Asaftei, 2009 unless otherwise sourced. Use allowed by express written permission only.

6 comments:

Rachel November 8, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

I do understand. I used to look down on sentimental people. But since having children I've joined there ranks.

Sarah November 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM  

you definitely feel so much more deeply the pain of loss when you have children and think of losing them. HE gave an incredible sacrifice for us. Praise His name!

Lisa November 8, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

Something you can't read in a book, no matter how profound the author. Something you can't know for yourself no matter how close the friend who relates the experience. It's that new facet to your soul that enables you to know in a more intimate way, a little bit of what it felt like, that separation, that agony our Savior endured for us.

Beautifully written, Sarah.

Anonymous,  November 9, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Like Enoch of old, we understand new things after the birth of our flesh. Only God could have put this together with such heart. Mom

Anonymous,  November 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM  

Yes, I realize I hit the wrong button on the anonymous...

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP