the epistle (or... a very long update on birth, baby and coming home) (part 2)

>> Sunday, November 1, 2009

We got back to the recovery room and spent an hour and a half or so just admiring the perfect little baby in our arms.

I was so cold that my arms and hands shook uncontrollably, and my teeth were chattering so that I could hardly talk. They brought me a "bear hugger", this big plastic tube to blow hot air under the blankets, to warm me up.

I'd wanted to nurse Tristan right away, but he didn't seem very interested when I tried. Instead he wanted to just stare at all the new sights with his eyes wide open. I've never seen a baby that was so alert and bright-eyed so early!

After I was warm, and a mother-baby room had been assigned, the transporters arrived to wheel us up to the next floor. They laid baby on my chest so I could carry him on the way.

My parents and sister were waiting for us in the room, and helped us get settled in. We spent the rest of the first day staring at the baby. I felt amazingly alert and able to engage in the whole process.

The anesthesiologist used Fentanyl for the spinal block instead of the normal 24-hour narcotic shots, so my numbness wore off within an hour or two after the procedure. After that I was on Dilaudid, a patient-controlled PCA pump that I just clicked whenever I felt I needed some relief.

The first night passed quickly between feedings and little naps. I was exhausted but euphoric at the same time. A few friends dropped by for quick visits in the afternoon and evening - bringing flowers, food, and congratulations.

One friend brought this massive box of baked goodies from the Canvas Bakery. I was sad that I couldn't have any since the doctor ordered a 24-hour clear liquids diet. But everyone else enjoyed them immensely, and I snacked on the leftovers the next day. :)

On Tuesday the catheter came out and also the IV. That way I could get up and walk around if I wanted. I wanted, but the nurses wouldn't let me get too rambunctious. I spent a few hours in the rocking chair in the afternoon, and it kind of wore me out just sitting up.




© Sarah K. Asaftei, 2009 unless otherwise sourced. Use allowed by express written permission only.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP