champ sleeper, bum feeder

>> Monday, November 2, 2009

When it comes to sleeping, I'd say we're blessed. Little Man will sleep for 6 or 7 hours at a time if I left him to his own devices. When he's knocked out, you can dress and undress him, carry him around, play music and talk - and he'll never make a peep.

Sometimes he sleeps so long and so soundly that I check him repeatedly just to make sure he's alive and breathing! The second night, in the hospital, I jerked awake in the middle of the night just because things were so quiet. Hauled myself out of bed, C-section and all, to hobble over and make sure he was okay.

And he barks in his sleep. Like a little doggy.

After he yaps, he's quiet for a moment, and then he'll make this sucking noise and breathe normally again. I find myself waking up to his little yips and then waiting all stiff and anxious until he smacks his lips and breathes again.
Feeding on the other hand, has been a challenge. He's a lazy little bum. At first it was tough to get him to latch at all. After we got the latch down, he would only eat from the right side.

Left boob? NO WAY, MOMMY!

So after a couple days we worked through that. Now he takes both sides fine. But he's still lazy to latch. He'll just sit there with these big beautiful eyes, locked on but not sucking.

So tomorrow we have an appointment with the lactation consultant at our pediatrician's clinic. Maybe we can figure some things out....


© Sarah K. Asaftei, 2009 unless otherwise sourced. Use allowed by express written permission only.

5 comments:

Beth November 2, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

Hey, I understand! Gracie had a difficult time, too. I had a lactation consultant come twice, I had friends coming over to help, my aunt was there...etc. Let's just say that all modesty went out the door with the birth of my daughter. She didn't gain weight properly until 7 months when we finally had to supplement with soy formula. I was so sad! I really wanted to do things naturally.

Angela November 3, 2009 at 3:59 AM  

Don't give up on nursing. With some babies it takes a bit but as long as he is pooping and has wet diapers he's doing ok. How did his one week weight check go? My kids passed out during feedings for the first six plus weeks. They both slept like rocks and were VERY difficult to wake up. It gets easier. :) Before long you'll be hiking and nursing. :p

skaMEDIA November 3, 2009 at 4:59 AM  

I'm definitely NOT giving up! :) I had no idea how much I would adore the breastfeeding experience. I just worry about him getting enough while we go through the learning curve. He does fine on wet diapers, but he passed so much meconium that the pediatrician says his delay on messy diapers is probably due to his intestines having to fill back up from the beginning again...

At his 1-week weight check yesterday he'd lost 3 more ounces since we brought him home from the hospital. But we got a good feeding this morning so I'm happy.

Lisa November 3, 2009 at 7:14 AM  

Are you waking him up to feed or letting him sleep that whole 6-7 hr. stretch? I'm sure the lactation consultant will tell you the same thing, but that's probably too long for a newborn to be going between any two feedings. A cold washcloth will help if you wash his little face just a teeny bit when he's getting ready to feed, or falling asleep as soon as he's staved off the worst of the hunger!

I had the same problem with Emmy with not wanting to nurse on one side. It went on for several weeks until I was getting one cracked nipple and clogged ducts (ouch). She just couldn't seem to get a good latch on that one side. Finally, some time later, after we'd worked through it (I found I had to feed her with the football hold on one side) I talked to a chiropractor who said she probably had a clavicle out of place that caused pain in the traditional hold. I don't know if that was truly the case or not, but it made some sense - she had been born with a nuchal hand, so there was considerable pressure there during the birth.

Breastfeeding is such a wonderful experience - tough at times, but so very worth the choice and dedication! I miss it!

skaMEDIA November 3, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

Oh no. Definitely not letting him sleep that many hours between!! But he doesn't wake to feed - I have to wake him and fight with him. And then he still shows little interest until he's gotten REALLY hungry.

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP