on sleeping through the night...

>> Sunday, December 20, 2009

So a lot of my friends think I'm crazy for trying to keep Little Man on a schedule... They ridicule my "Babywise" philosophies, goodnaturedly of course.

Honestly there are days when I'm trying to maintain his routine (while packing boxes, organizing our final church dinners, attending christmas weddings and December graduations, and spending days househunting in a new city) that I think I must be crazy too!

But when Little Man sleeps through the night two nights in a row at 8 weeks old, naps an hour and a half at a time, and sets himself on a four-hour eating schedule without any outside interference... I'm reminded of how great the payoff is.

Some folks might think I just got lucky and won the easy-baby lottery. But I don't agree.

If you ask me, it's all in the training.

© Sarah K. Asaftei, 2009 unless otherwise sourced. Use allowed by express written permission only.

(Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone.)

4 comments:

Romina,  December 20, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

Good job, I wish my niece was the same. But instead all advice, everyone was going after her own schedule and now my sister-in-law feels she's gonna go crazy. I even got scared about having a baby because of course I knew it was hard, but not really like that, a hectic program and all that craziness. My mom says it shouldn't be like that and doctors too, that you should make the baby, step by step, respect the schedule that you make, and that nothing wrong is going to happen to a healthy baby even if he cries a little.
:) For some reason everybody who's taking care of my niece (a small army by now)knows that but only in theory. In practice, nobody can do it.

Amy December 20, 2009 at 5:30 PM  

Amen, Sister!! Congrats on a good nights sleep! Some also think that I got lucky THREE times. But you're right...it's all in the training and is so worth it!

Blessings for the holiday and as you move!

Amy Austin

Rodlie Ortiz December 21, 2009 at 6:34 AM  

I think that training plays a part for sure, and it helps, but it's not all of the story. We also did the babywize thing and Jonathan started sleeping through the night quite early as well, but all babies are different. Some may not sleep through the night because of other reasons that doesn't have to do with the schedule (reflux, cholic, etc.) That's why it's difficult to make really general statements like that, because it infers that, for parents with babies not sleeping through the night because of some reason, that they aren't doing the right things.

skaMEDIA December 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

@ Rodlie: I'll give you that, definitely. There are many reasons why babies might not sleep through the night at the same age. But barring those medical reasons, I do truly believe that training can help a whole lot. I know a number of parents who have done different things on both ends of the sleep training philosophy. The ones I know personally who did the Babywise generally have had all their children sleeping at night early on and much more consistently.

But I do agree that every parent needs to know their child's needs personally!

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP