THE MOMMY

>> Saturday, January 3, 2009

As a career woman, I spent a fabulous 4 years working from a home office and traveling across North America and internationally 3-4 months out of the year. I got to manage events, produce films, create and develop ministry resources for the young professional generation, and work with some of my best friends.

As a pastor's wife my untravel time juggled between my home and church. (Or churches, depending on where we served.) Stuff like women's ministries, youth ministries, small group bible studies, hospitality and communication.

As a writer, I blog for:
- CLUTCH::a place where young pastor's wives can be real
- CURWHIBBLES::because I totally get that mommy-ramblings are not everyone else's cup of tea

I grew up in a loving Christian family. We moved a lot because most years we were either in military or missionary service. Homeschooling kept us stable through the adventures of new places and friends.

As a girl, I learned to cook, can, clean, decorate-a-house-on-a-shoestring, embroider, knit, crochet, cross-stitch and sew. I still love pulling a needlework project out of my knock-off designer handbag and making people very confused.

Umm, since when do chicks in suits and stilettos carry around sewing projects.

Okay, I admit the stilettos have faded into fond memories - they don't work so great with a nearly-30-pound not-yet-one-year-old on my hip. But they're all still lined up in my closet - sooooooooo pretty.......

The first time around, I found that my normally unstoppable brain had trouble just getting into first gear. I constantly forgot the most basic vocabulary. My husband cackled when I'd drop off mid-sentence with a blank look on my face unable to remember where my thought train was headed.

Oh, was I the one talking? Huh. Weird.... 

I don't glow when I'm pregnant. Instead, I get eczema patches on my face, acne, greasy hair and months of round-the-clock nausea. It ain't pretty.

My normally happy self went on vacation during my first pregnancy too. I struggled with some pretty awful prenatal depression. It was this vicious cycle between feeling like my whole life and identity had vanished, and then feeling guilty for not being thrilled about my new status as a mom-to-be. The chronic insomnia didn't help.

7 weeks after delivery by C-section, we got to move to a new church district. We unloaded the truck the day before Christmas Eve. I guess we've never done things the easy way.

Now that we're headed into this the second time around, I'm not as nervous. But I'm keenly aware of my potential to slip back into negativity and discouragement. This blog is my journal accountability partner to stay positive, happy and on the bright side.

Sometimes the immensity of the task is overwhelming. And that's when I blog the most...


READ "THE CAST" TO FIND OUT MORE

Feel free to leave comments. You may tweet, vote, or share my posts with your friends as long as you link back to this blog.

© Sarah K. Asaftei, 2009 unless otherwise sourced. Use allowed by express written permission only.

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP