the soundtrack of my life

>> Friday, April 9, 2010

This evening after Little Man's bathtime and family worship, I turned on our iPod mix labeled "sabbath".

It's a reverent but eclectic jumble of Romanian and Russian chorales, British boys' choir, American quartets and piano & violin solos. It's our go-to playlist at the end of the week. A final touch on a busy day spent preparing to rest. And a great way to get in the frame of mind to spend time with God tomorrow.

Right now I'm writing this on my phone while Little Man slumbers peacefully on my chest. And each genre of music takes me somewhere different.

It's amazing, the power of sound on the human emotion. As each song plays, crisp memories of other times and places wash over me.

GLAD quartet: summer of 1997, during my first summer colporteuring

Russian choir: summer of 1995, wandering through the campus of Zaokski University in the early morning before church, as choir music floated out of the upstairs windows of the church building

British boys choir: spring of 2007, feeling very small as I stared at the magnificent ceiling of St Paul's cathedral in London, and soaked up the majestic strains of the Evensong performance

Those memories from my teen years (and a few from my 20's) stand out in sharp definition. This year I will turn 30. Somehow, the day-to-day happenings don't seem as outlined against the soundtrack of my life. That might have something to do with getting older, or with the mental fumbling that comes from baby brain, or just that life has settled down and isn't one long adventure anymore.

But even though there are days when I can't remember what I put on the grocery list, all I have to do is turn on this playlist and suddenly I'm 14 years old again. Every emotion is heightened, every sensation intensified. And I can remember the feelings and dreams of my childhood as though it were only yesterday.

© Sarah K. Asaftei, 2009 unless otherwise sourced. Use allowed by express written permission only.

(Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone.)

1 comments:

Ericka Bonneau-Usher April 12, 2010 at 7:23 AM  

I understand well what you are saying, Sarah. Music does the same for me, and that feeling of wondering where your minutes and your days, and even your months have gone too, thats a motherhood thing. I have experienced it since the birth of my daughter when I was 20. On the plus side, I think part of it is that when you have children, so many moments are precious, so many moments grab you, that its hard to keep track of them all.

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP