cataloguing differences...

>> Monday, October 18, 2010

They say "every pregnancy is different!" Mostly they mean to be encouraging. 'Cause, you know, they want me to know that just because last time I was sick the whole time and suffered prenatal depression, doesn't mean it'll happen again.

But different doesn't necessarily mean better. It can also mean... well, the opposite.


Last time: I was sick with all-day nausea for 8.5 months.
This time: It's worse. (But then maybe it won't last quite so long? Hey, a girl can hope...)

Last time: I had to graze on food every 45 minutes to an hour to help control nausea.
This time: I can hardly eat at all. On the upside, by this point last time I'd gained 10 pounds, this time I've only gained two. I take small comforts where I can get them!

Last time: I got to lie in bed or crash on the couch during rough days.
This time: Mr Man needs meals, diapers, naps, baths, songs, you know... all that crucial stuff in a baby's day. So yeah, no couch-napping.

Last time: I got stubborn rashy, oozing eczema patches on my face for the whole pregnancy.
This time: The patch is on the opposite side of my mouth. Turned up weeks before the pregnancy test showed positive.

Last time: Insomnia. For months on end.
This time: Insomnia. But I've discovered that if I jet off to bed immediately after Mr Man goes down (sometime right around the totally-grandma hour of 7:30 PM), and try to fall asleep by 8:30 or so, I can skip the "second wind" that keeps me staring at a black ceiling into the wee hours. Yay for discoveries!

Last time: I had an awesomely helpful husband who set a day's worth of snacks out on the counter since being in the same room with the refrigerator door open was enough to send me hurling.
This time: I still have an awesomely helpful husband. Except now his energy is most kindly spent in changing nasty diapers (whenever he is home), to keep me from adding to each diaper's mess.

Last time: I thought the pregnancy would never end.
This time: Mr Man keeps me busy enough that somedays I forget I'm pregnant at all and just wonder if this is perennial stomach flu.

Last time: I didn't have many friends who were moms. Or who were pregnant. I felt utterly, totally alone in the journey most of the time.
This time: I've got some really incredible friends. Some of them are right in the middle of it with me, and instead of feeling isolated - I've got a small but fabulous network of like-minded moms. Heather, Nabila, Ramona, Louana, Iveth, Lianro, Claudette, Celeste, Christine - you are all awesome! I'm so glad to know each of you, and your amazing kids!


© Sarah K Asaftei, 2009-2010 unless otherwise sourced.
Use allowed by express written permission only.
Tweets, trackbacks, and link sharing encouraged.

3 comments:

Holly Messenger October 18, 2010 at 2:18 AM  

I hope it does improve soon! And I can't wait to meet the little troublemaker whose debut in the world is turning yours upside down. Whoever they are, they will prove the journey to be worthwhile. I'm glad you've got better friends this time around.

Sarah October 18, 2010 at 4:56 AM  

indeed-pregnancies are all different! :) Just wait til you're on your THIRD pregnancy! (LOL!) It really goes by fast then! YOu really don't have time to think, or rest or anything! You just Gooooooooo. But it sure is hard when you're sick. I know I was sick all day every day for months on end and it is NO fun. Have you tried the Sea Bands yet? They do provide a tiny bit of relief!

skaMEDIA October 18, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

@Sarah: If I'm ever on my third pregnancy, something will have gone terribly wrong! LOL I think two is going to make us very satisfied and happy for good!

And yes, I have used the Sea Bands. They did seem to make a positive difference - thanks for the suggestion!

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP