gotta give some props...

>> Thursday, April 16, 2009

I always knew my husband was going to make a fantastic dad. After all, his biological clock started ticking loudly long before mine. Actually, mine never really kicked in at all - but that's not relevant to this post...

But I'd never given a moment's thought to the possibility that I might have a hard first trimester. So it had never occurred to me to really think about how he'd be during pregnancy. You see, I'm almost never sick. I always muscle through whatever's on my 'to do' list no matter how I feel. I'm great at "mind-over-matter".

Yeah, so much for all that.

Nausea kicked in at about 5 weeks, and ever since (I'm now at 12 weeks) I've been a mess. It takes every last shred of energy just to open my computer and get my work done.

We laugh about it when people ask "how are you doing?" We just say "Sarah's got nausea, and Marius has dishes, laundry, cooking, cleaning, and ironing!"

Last week Marius came home after a long and exhausting day and - yet again - started in on the housework. "Now you know what every single working woman in the world feels like!" I crowed. "We don't get to come home from the office and sit back - we just have to start our second full-time job."

He didn't think it was very funny.

But I have to applaud him, anyway. He's been so faithful at running for snacks when my tummy starts to empty out and I start randomly heaving. And he's great at midnight help when I can't sleep. And at giving tootsie rubs to help me relax.

This pregnancy has come at a rough time for him - lots of challenges at his church, I'm losing my job after the summer so our finances are getting slashed, his mom was just diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia - and the list goes on. He has had every reason to be too busy to make me feel pampered and loved, but he still does.

I'm really blessed.

5 comments:

Alexa,  April 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

Loved reading this. I appreciated your being so open and honest about your current struggles. I can relate in many ways. You don't think I got a religion degree for nothin' do ya? In spite of it all what a revelation it has been having three boys. It's given me a much deeper understanding of my heavenly Father's love for His erring children. And may I say what an AMAZING husband you have!!! My already high opinion of him just rose a couple notches. :-) You guys are in my prayers and your mother-in-law too.

Carissa,  April 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

Your so lucky to be able to be at home with a comfy bed while you have nausia!!!! I had it really bad to for about the first 16 weeks, but I was in a hot, remote jungle village teaching school. I would be in the middle of explaining lessons and start sweating...run to the bathroom and you know what happens....then go back out and try to continue on with class like nothing happened. My hubby was great at night though, he would get up and mix powdered milk (since we didn't have any refridgeration) for me at all hours when I was starving!!

Krystal,  April 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

I'm glad to hear that my "bro" is taking good care of his wife. That's the way it should be when you feel so rough and I so hope you feel better soon, but either way, you're a tough one so I know that you'll make it through. :)

Manuela,  April 16, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

I must say...Asafteis are a rare breed!

dpm April 16, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

what are tootsies?! LOL

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP