on unexpected angels...

>> Monday, April 20, 2009

Nobody has ever brought us a meal when I've been sick. At least, not that I can remember.

Since we've been married, my husband has served as a pastor in four different churches. I've often sent pots of soup or loaves of bread or extra casseroles to members that were sick or grieving.

Until today, no one from our churches has ever done that for us.

Last Sabbath after church, a group of us were chatting and the subject of my pregnancy came up. I had to brag on my hubby - who has faithfully taken over jobs he never used to do, like cooking and laundry. We've always split the chores, but he's never had to cook much before. However, since my nausea is most acutely triggered by smells - like all the mixed scents of food billowing out of the refrigerator every time the door is opened - he's had to take control of the entire kitchen.

One woman in the group immediately offered to bring some food sometime this week. I told her that would be nice, but (and no offense to her) I didn't really think it would happen. Lots of people offer to do lots of things, but life often gets in the way of their good intentions. Besides, I'm a pastor's wife. I'm used to being the one helping other people - not the other way around.

Today, I got a Facebook message asking me if 6 PM tonight would be a good time for her to bring dinner. Would I please send her our address? I was really surprised, and excited (she's a fabulous cook, I already knew that).

This evening, she showed up at our door bearing a feast. Scalloped potatoes, roasted butternut squash, seasoned vegetarian chicken, greenbean salad, two kinds of homemade dips with pita and veggie sticks, sliced cucumbers in lemon juice and herbs, lentils, and homemade pumpkin bread for dessert. Food enough for two days at least - and Marius won't have to lift a finger!

Her act of service was so kind and undeserved. It really met my love language. I was so overwhelmed with thanks and appreciation that I really didn't know what to say.

Tonight I cried.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  April 20, 2009 at 7:05 PM  

It's amazing what a small act of kindness can do! -Becky B.

The SSP April 21, 2009 at 9:00 AM  

Hey - CONGRATULATIONS. Just got caught up reading your writing and the exciting news! Y'all will do great!

Have fun with your kiddo and God bless!

--Steve

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP