the sympathy of men...

>> Thursday, June 11, 2009

My husband is a jewel. Really he is.

Over the last 5 months I've been convinced that he's a closet nursing professional. He's been kind, caring, patient beyond belief.

There's some inner switch that flips in a truly good man when the woman he loves is carrying his child. He'll do all kinds of things that he'd never dreamed of before. With joy.

Like midnight snack runs. Or holding you upright in the shower when you're about to faint. Or doing all your chores in addition to his own. Or getting your snacks out of the refrigerator because the slightest smell makes you gag and run from the room.

But then there are moments when, like every human, he does something that makes you wonder about his sanity. Or at least, your reaction makes him question yours.

Like coming in from work one night last week, flopping on the couch, and announcing that he's so tired he "feels like he's pregnant!"

I just walked out of the room.

But he's only human, right? Fallible. Bound to fall off his perfectly polished pedestal once or twice over nine months.

I guess I can grant him that. After all, the next morning he scrubbed out the refrigerator with bleach, dumped all the expired food and totally organized the remaining contents. I can almost get my own snacks without holding my nose now.

In my book, that puts him right back up near perfect. Even if he does think he's tired enough to feel pregnant. HAH.

2 comments:

Roger Cox June 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

You have noted that he is empathetic. In the extreme version, he will actually feel what you feel -- meaning pregnant. Now all men know they are never pregnant and will never really truly know the feelings. But give him credit for great empathy. It is a gift that he has abundantly. It's funny you say, nursing. Nah, I say a great man for all close relationships. BTW: It is a gift that is very poorly distributed in the population, so gratefulness is in order.

Empathy when combined with excellent intuition and logic makes for GREAT leadership ... transformative. It is highly valued in good organizations and ignored in the poor ones.

skaMEDIA June 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

He is definitely empathetic, and is a great leader. For which I admire him deeply.

However, I've worked 60-hour weeks. And quite a few 80-hour weeks. I can understand a man being tired. None of the most exhausting or stressful work-weeks compare to the total mental and physical drain of having your body working overtime to create another human being though... At least, not in my experience. :)

Post a Comment

I OWN UP TO MY OPINIONS, PLEASE RETURN THE COURTESY.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
LEAVE AT LEAST YOUR NAME, USING "NAME/URL" IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A USER PROFILE.

BlogWithIntegrity.com
I disclose perks from any product I blog.
No disclosure = pure personal appreciation.

SEARCH MY BLOG

BlogHer.com Logo
© 2009-2010
sarah k. asaftei
all rights reserved

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP